Make a Bird Feeder or Bird Pudding
Follow the instructions below to make a quick and easy cake to keep all the birds in your garden happy!
Stuff you will need
Good quality bird seed, raisins, peanuts, grated cheese, suet or lard, yoghurt pots, string, mixing bowl and scissors.
Important notes for Leaders: This activity is not suitable for girls with nut allergies. Additionally, please note that bird seed, including peanuts bought for birds are not suitable for human consumption.
1. Carefully make a small hole in the bottom of a yoghurt pot. Thread string through the hole and tie a knot on the inside. Leave enough string so that you can tie the pot to a tree or your bird table.
2. Allow the lard to warm up to room temperature, but don’t melt it. Then cut it up into small pieces and put it in the mixing bowl.
3. Add the other ingredients to the bowl and mix them together with your finger tips. Keep adding the seed/raisin/cheese mixture and squidging it until the fat holds it all together.
4. Fill your yoghurt pots with bird cake mixture and put them in the fridge to set for an hour or so.
5. Hang your speedy bird cakes from trees or your bird table. Watch for greenfinches, tits and possibly even great spotted woodpeckers.